Many shippers need freight broker services to combat market volatility and capacity crunches encountered within the supply chain. A capacity crunch, typically driven by fluctuations in the market, can be frustrating for shippers who cannot locate a truck for their haul. Carriers and shippers find more frequently that capacity continues to respond to market volatility. Shippers need freight broker services to alleviate the burdens of strategic carrier sourcing where the shipper may not be finding capacity that is the best fit for the job and navigate any arising issues in logistics.
The Right Brokerage Can Provide One-Stop Solutions to Empower Your Team and Freight Network
Shippers need freight broker partners that are well-informed, offer end-to-end logistics solutions and ready to take on the more complex tasks. The right brokerage provides many services and proves valuable to shippers and carriers alike. Top characteristics to look for in the right freight broker business include:
- Use of cloud-based systems to enable global coverage. Cloud-based systems provide real-time information for users anywhere globally to find available capacity in markets where carriers or shippers may have limited needs. This reduces confusion or delays arising from siloed systems. In addition, cloud-based systems of record are highly scalable and allow for instantaneous shipping execution.
- Understanding of the nuances involved in cross-border trade. Compliance rules and regulations vary by country, but that is not unique to international trade. Inter-state trade may be subject to differences in regulations or weight limits, and a brokerage helps keep all that information in the context of each shipment.
- Improved throughput with a more diverse carrier network. A more varied network gives shippers more options by linking shipments to carriers and vice versa to move more freight across all markets.
- Strong customer service skills to help find available capacity. By keeping carriers’ concerns and shippers top of mind, brokers help secure more transportation capacity without the added stress. This helps everyone stay profitable.
- Reduced confusion by leveraging transparent, concise workflows. Shippers need freight brokers that utilize technology and automation to control back-office expenses, save money, keep everyone informed of changes to the transportation schedule, and more.
- Flexibility to handle loads regardless of mode. With a brokerage, it’s easier to accommodate requests for different types of transportation, whether by ocean, air, road, or rail. And while it may include intermodal transportation across any of these modes, it is essential to look for brokers well versed in multimodal optimization to handle all needs, keeping all costs in check.
- Knowledgeable about unique requirements among individual carriers, including criteria for shipper-of-choice eligibility and more. The right broker should adhere to all requirements for all network partners.
- Enhanced efficiency. Because of a broker’s ability to take care of everything from inception to the final mile, they boost efficiency for backlogged shippers with limited transportation capacity.
Tips to Select the Best Brokerage for Your Needs
Selecting the best broker comes down to the integrity and work ethic of the brokerage. When shopping for a freight broker, shippers should follow a few tips to find the right brokerage. These include:
- Review the broker's vetting process for carriers.
- Assess past brokerage client satisfaction scores as well as broker carrier partnerships.
- Get a general feel for the integrity and quality of services provided by the broker.
- Ask to see a demo of portals or applicable software, since shippers need freight broker software that’s intuitive, versatile, and easy to use.
- Check the brokerage licenses.
- Determine how the broker manages carriers.
- Ask for a custom proposal in writing that considers your unique transportation needs and the costs of such.
- Assess trustworthiness, including running a credit check and checking the brokerage for a history of applicable legal liens or past judgments, if any, to determine if any risk could impair your operation.
Maintain Your Competitive Advantage With the Right Freight Brokerage Partnership
back-office work. The right freight brokerage will navigate the market volatility and reduced capacity. Reality shows that capacity will remain tight through 2021. The onset stress of managing increased loads can practically vanish if shippers choose the right freight brokerage partnership. Contact Wicker Park Logistics to get started today.